Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Suffice

 Would I settle for the ghost of you?

Abyss of days between the Us and You

Thousands of days have passed since we could see 

Who we were, who we had become.

And that letter you wrote, ringing true to this day

All you felt and the wisdom behind your words

They carry your sentiments still locked in the chamber

Of all the beauty we felt, before the road split into two.

That twinkle in your eyes, your laugh, your smile

The authenticity of everything you shared in our bubble

The world that only we knew, and the injury committed 

To that tender, intimate and precious fellowship we gave

To you - to me -  to each other.

That day in your room on Wintergardens,

The rain on the windows as you sat in your chair smiling

I knew then that to preserve the best in you

I would stay until I could stay no more.

The time came and in that transaction, I traded

Everything you gave to me and all the ways I felt

For new life, new love, and the legacy of Us - born anew

In the heart of our child; a girl, soft, sweet and true.


"...and if I can't be next to you..." 

I settled for better than the best of You.

And though "...I miss you more than life..."

Our memories suffice.


No comments:

Post a Comment